This week, the moms discuss: Life in their homeschooling households the past week, activities during the recent solar eclipse, finding unexpected learning opportunities, exploring Charlotte Mason education, answer the question “Am I capable of homeschooling?”, and Beckie reviews the REAL Science Odyssey series.
Links for this episode:
- May 20, 2012 Solar Eclipse
- How to make and use pinhole viewers
- Risk Board Game (And here’s a short blog post about the educational values of this game.)
- To help explain Tina’s Jay Leno reference
- History of Us, by Joy Hakim
- The Hero of Harlaam, entire book is available online at this link…I’ve linked Ch 18, where the story is found.
- Hans Brinker (this link is to the version of the book I talk about in the show)
- Rabbit trails
- Extreme Engineering (Seasons available on Netflix instant view)
- Nova, Nature, How its Made (Seasons available on Netflix instant view)
- iGame Timer 2
- Charlotte Mason
- Charlotte Mason Study Guide, by Penny Gardner
- Great forum thread on being afraid of failing at homeschooling
- California Virtual Academies (CAVA)… https://cava.k12.com/ is the place to look for the same program outside of CA.
- Connections Academy
- Reggio Emilia, Montessori, Waldorf
- R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey, by Pandia Press
- The Wired Homeschool podcast
Here’s the review I wrote on iTunes, which tells even more about why I like this show (click the image below to see it bigger):
- The Sociable Homeschooler podcast
Don’t forget you can find us on Twitter @SavvyHomeschool and on Facebook at SavvyHomeschoolMoms. Also you can call and leave us a voicemail at (559)426-6670. Subscribe to our podcast through iTunes at http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/savvy-homeschool-moms/id529043541